There are a lot of marking platforms out there that small businesses have used and embraced. It really depends on what type of SME you are running to determine what works best for you. We recommend Email Marketing.
WHAT IS EMAIL MARKETING?
Most businesses email customers from time to time, usually when they have a special event or just to answer queries or respond to complaints.
Customers need to be taken on a journey from the customers’ point of view, from telling the new customer about the range of products or services you offer through to thanking them for a purchase and updating them on offers or promotions.
YOU NEED TO ASK YOURSELF THE FOLLOWING:
• What messages do you want to send to your customers or prospects?
• Where in your sales process or journey are your customers?
All your messages should be developed based on where your customer is on their sales journey with you so you can build trust and loyalty so they buy from you and not a competitor.
EMAILING PROSPECTS OR CUSTOMERS YOU NEED THE FOLLOWING:
• You need their email address and at least their first name!
IN A NUTSHELL:
You can collect email addresses and first name at point of purchase, via social media (things like contests or ads), via opt-in boxes on your website and through opt-in pages (I use LeadPages and ClickFunnels) and a myriad of other ways.
WHAT IF I AM TOO BUSY TO HANDLE YOUR EMAIL MARKETING?
That’s where email autoresponders come in to the equation. Rather than you creating emails one at a time and sending them through your own email server, you can sign up to one of the autoresponder companies and use their systems. For businesses with only a few customers, something like MailChimp would suffice.
MailChimp is free for most businesses with only a few customers.
If you really want to automate the process, then systems like AWeber or ConvertKit are a big step up. They are built to automatically send a lead/prospect or a customer a series of pre-written emails (also known as an email sequence).
For those of you who are looking for a Done-For-You service then send us an email via our Done-For-You Page – just click here.
THE 9 BENEFITS OF AN EMAIL MARKETING CAMPAIGN FOR YOUR BUSINESS?
1. THEY WANT YOUR EMAILS!
- Research shows that 72% prefer to be contacted via email rather than any other marketing method.
- As long as your content engages your readers they will be happy to receive your messages, if not, there has to be an ‘unsubscribe’ option at the bottom of your messages.
2. EMAIL MARKETING IS COST EFFECTIVE!
- Yes, you may have to pay for using the chosen autoresponder system, you may have to pay a copywriter to put together your email sequence but you don’t have any advertising or postage costs! Once set up, you can send a daily email if that suits your business.
3. IT HELPS BUILD YOUR BRAND!
- If you spend time developing the best content for your emails you can really get your customers to know your business and that will help build your brand.
- Imagine you have written a book about your business on how you can help your customers – each email message you send is like a chapter from your book – promoting you, giving social proof and giving your customers more opportunities to buy from you.
4. MULTI USE
- The same messages can be adopted for use on your social media such as Twitter, Google+ and Facebook as well as for video content for your small business YouTube channel.
5. EMAILS MUST HAVE A CALL TO ACTION!
- The reason you are emailing your prospects is to get them to buy from you. • The reason you are emailing your customers is to get them to buy MORE from you!
- So within your content has to be ways for the reader to either get more information (by sending them to your Website or to an opt-in page created with LeadPages or ClickFunnels) or to make a purchase (link to Website, online store or directly to PayPal).
6. HOW WILL I KNOW EMAIL IS WORKING FOR MY SMALL BUSINESS?
- Using an autoresponder you have information about how many emails were opened (that’s where the headline is VERY important) and how many clicked the links within the email (that’s where the content is VERY important).
- These stats will help you work out the best headlines to use for your niche, what content your email list want to read and which products or services they want to know more about or buy.
7. EMAILS TARGETED AT SPECIFIC SECTORS OF YOUR LIST!
- As mentioned earlier, where the prospect or customer is on their sales journey with your small business determines what emails you should send to them.
- A new prospect may get a thank you for joining your list with a link to a free ebook, then a series of messages telling them about what you do, what offers you have, the reviews you’ve received and much more.
- An existing customer may get new product information, an offer for their friends and family, a request to add a review or an invitation of an event.
- You can even segment your list into time zones, so your email messages are delivered depending on the time in the customers’ country!
- You can even break down your list into industry sectors so emails are tailored specifically for that sector.
8. IT BROADENS YOUR APPEAL!
- By creating loyalty amongst your customers, or by creatively informing prospects, your best messages will be shared by your email list to friends, family, work colleagues, clients etc., thereby helping broaden your appeal, getting more people to see your offers/promotions and new sign ups to your mailing list!
9. SAVES YOU A LOT OF TIME!
- Autoresponders can be linked directly to all your systems, if you have a CRM this can be set up so new customers are automatically added to your new customer list in your autoresponder and they get the first thank you email a minute after they are added.
- If prospects opt in via your website of sales page, then they immediately get an email saying thank you plus any freebie you have used as an incentive to sign up.
Email Marketing for small businesses is a must do! It has to be a big part of your marketing mix. It does take time at the start to get your email list in order and to develop the messages you want to communicate but once in place it works for you without having to do a thing. And it will make you money 24/7 365 days a year!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this blog post about Email Marketing. Remember to leave a comment below and subscribe to my YouTube channel to receive the latest social media tips straight to your inbox!
© Martin Goldthorpe 2017